Icon of the Mother of God "The Passion"
In the first half of the 17th century, a. married woman by the name of Yekaterina suffering from violent lunacy used lu live in the village of Palets. a Nizhni Novgorod estate of Prince Lykov-Obotensky. One day. having come to her senses, she began to pray to the Mother of God for a cure and vowed that she would take the veil should her prayers be heeded. She was healed, but then she broke her vow. She be^an to live with her husband all over again and gave birth to several children. Subsequently she look to her bed. In the course of her illness the Mother of God appeared to her three times, reproaching h&r for disobedience. During Her last appearance the Mother of God commanded Yekaterina to visit icon-painter Grigory in the city of Nizhni Novgorod and pray before the Icon of the Mother of God '"Hodegetria" at his place. The woman obeyed the Theotokos' will and was healed. The holy image was then translated to Prince Lykov's village of Palets and installed in the Church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian. Later on, in 164L on Tsar Mikhail Feodorovich's orders the icon was brought to Moscow, Here on August 13 the icon was solemnly met at the Tver Gates, where a church was built for it and in 1654 the Monastery of the Icon of the Mother of God "The Passion" was founded. This icon is venerated by the Roman Catholic Church as well. Feast day: August 13/26.