Tolga icon of Mother of God
In 1314, Bishop Prokhor of Yaroslavl, making u round of his diocese, stopped for the night on the right bank of the Volga River not far from Yaroslavl. At midnight the Bishop, suddenly aroused from sleep, was astounded to see an unusual light penetrating into his Lent. It was coming forth from the spot on the other bank of the Volga where the Tolga River flows into it. Having taken his crosier along, the bishop, all alone, walked up to the river and saw a bridge leading to a pillar of lire on its other bank. Having crossed the river, Prokhor beheld an icon of the Mother of God floating in midair. The bishop offered a prayer to Her before the hol> image and then went back Lo his tent, having left his crosier behind. In the morning, when the absence of the crosier was noticed, Prokhor told his retainers about his vision. Then the hierarch and his retinue got to the other bank of the Volga where they found the forgotten crosier and saw the icon this time among the trees and not in midair. The Bishop immediately decided to build a church at that spot and began himself to fell trees. The rumor about Ihe miraculous appearance of the icon attracted many people to that site, including quite a few invalids, who made a quick recovery after they got there. One day in 1392, the Mother of God's hand and the Pre-Eternal Infant's fool began to exude medicinal myrrh during divine service. In 1638 and 1766. the miracle-working icon saved the local people from famine after a period of drought. Feast day; August 8/21.