Great Panagia, Yaroslavl Orante
The Icon of the Mother of God "Great Panagia" ("panagia" meaning "all-holy'' in Greek) is one of the oldest icons of the Mother of God "The Sign." originating from the famous holy image in the Blachernae Church in Constantinople. This icon comes from the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Savior, built in 1224 in the city of Yaroslavl. According to the chronicles, icons of the Mother of God "The Sign" of the "Great Panagia" type participated in numerous campaigns waged by Russian princes in the period of internecine strife, in particular, in the defense of Novgorod against troops led by Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky in 1169. This monumental icon is intended to be viewed from a distance. Probably, it was designed for the altar part of the cathedral. The icon's symbols clearly express the Christian ideas of the immaculate conception, the Divine nature of Jesus Christ, and the triumph of the Heavenly Church on Earth. For many centuries Russian people turned to this icon, just as they turned to the great miracle-working icons, asking for cure and relief from their sorrows and afflictions. Feast day: November 27/December 10.