Jerusalem icon of the Mother of God
According to Church tradition, the original icon was painted by the Apostle St.Luke in Gethsemane, where the tomb of the Mother of God is located, in the 15th year after the Ascension of Our Lord. In the 5th century A.D., the icon was translated from Jerusalem to Constantinople. After Constantinople was taken by the Russes, it was brought to Chersonesus (Korsun). After the Baptism of Rus the icon was sent by prince Vladimir to the people of Novgorod. They installed it in the Cathedral of St.Sophia, where it remained until the conquest of Novgorod by Ivan the Terrible, From 1571, it was kept in the Cathedral of the Dormition in the Moscow Kremlin. In 1812, the icon was taken as a spoil by the French and today it is kept at Notre Dame de Paris. Over the long period of its existence the icon has been glorified by numerous miracles and cures. Feast day: October 12/25.