Korsun-Ephesus icon of Mother of God
According to a legend, this icon was painted by the Apostle St. Luke. In 1173, it was presented by Emperor Manuel Comnemis to St. Ev-frosinia of Polotsk. St. Evfrosinia installed the icon in the Church of the Most Holy Theotokos at the cloister which she had founded near Polotsk. In 1239, when Prince Alexander Nevsky married the daughter of Prince Bryachislav of Polotsk, the young bride took the icon along with her for the wedding ceremony to the town of Toropets, where it remained until 1917. There are several miracle-working copies of this icon. One of them, which was kept in Nizhni Novgorod, was made by Hieromonk Simeon in 903; another copy, the Korsun Icon of the Mother of God "Eleusa" (the time of its painting is unknown), placed in a silver icon-case made in 1590, was kept in Suzdal. There are a number of versions of the Korsun Icon of the Mother of God differing from one another in minor details. Feast day: October 9/22.